Here’s a quickie but goodie — make it tomorrow morning for breakfast! If you don’t have the exact ingredients, you can mix-and-match your way to success with open-faced breakfast toast. I have faith in your culinary skills!
Open-faced Breakfast Toast
- 2 small saute pans, one for eggs and one for bacon
- 2 medium or large eggs
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1 strip bacon preferably thick-cut
- 4 grape or cherry tomatoes
- Small handful fresh arugula
- 2 tsp grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese
- 2 slices sourdough toast or other artisanal loaf, or 1 English muffin
- Butter for toast
- Scramble the eggs in a small bowl. Heat the butter in one saute pan on medium-low heat, then add the eggs. In the other saute pan, fry the bacon on medium-low heat, rendering off the fat. Meanwhile, toast the slices of bread or the English muffin.
- When the bread is toasted, place it on the serving plate. Butter it to your liking, then sprinkle 1 tsp of Parmesan cheese on each piece of toast.
- When the eggs have finished, carefully spoon them onto the pieces of toast. Pat excess oil off the bacon with paper towel, then break the bacon into small pieces on top of the eggs. Halve the cherry tomatoes and put four halves on each piece of toast. Finish by topping the toast with arugula, and sprinkle more Parmesan on as desired.
Notes & variations:
For a spicy, Spanish flair, try substituting chorizo for bacon. You could also use another type of sausage or another protein, or leave the protein off for a healthier treat. You can also use spinach or basil instead of arugula, and your favorite crumbly cheese in place of Parmesan. A thin slice of a creamy cheese, such as Brie or Comte, also works well beneath the eggs and makes for a fancier finish. You can also use large tomato slices (cut the tomatoes very thin and salt them lightly before placing them on top of the eggs) instead of cherry tomatoes.
Some combinations that I think would work great (but they’re by far not the only options — be creative!) —
Eggs + English muffin + swiss cheese + blood sausage + spinach
Eggs + sourdough toast + Brie + Parmesan + bacon + cherry tomatoes + arugula
Eggs + toast + smoked gouda + chorizo sausage + sun-dried tomatoes + arugula
Eggs + toast + mozzarella + crumbled Italian sausage + large, thin-sliced tomatoes marinated in Balsamic vinegar + basil pesto
Check out other great recipes!
All of the recipes I post are housed on Good Eats.
Like this recipe? Share it!
If you enjoyed this recipe, pass it on! And be sure to follow Voyage of the Mind using the buttons in the footer for continued updates and more recipes.
START A CONVERSATION IN THE COMMENTS.
Have you made open-faced breakfast toast? Let me know what you thought in the comments or tell me any interesting versions you went with!